The Auburn Water District was founded in 1947 by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Chapter 585 of the General Laws of Massachusetts. The 1947 Charter defines the structure and operation of the district, including the creation of the three-member Board of Commissioners.
In 2004, the Auburn Water District assumed the operation and maintenance of the Woodland Water District, which was originally chartered by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1935. The Woodland Water District was uncharted by an Act of the Legislature in 2004.
The Elm Hill Water District is a separate district in Auburn that receives it water from the City of Worcester. The Elm Hill Water District has its own Board of Commissioners and staff who operate that water system.